Map

Galeria obiektu

The Primatial Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Wojciech (Adalbert) in Gniezno

section: Architecture
comments: 0

Some of the more interesting chapels

The elliptical cupola covering the late-baroque Potocki Chapel, designed by Pompeo Ferrari and built 1727-1730, is one of the most beautiful in the cathedral. The parietal tomb of Abp. Teodor Potocki (d. 1738), who pronounced Stanisław Leszczyński king upon the death of Augustus II the Strong, and the epitaph of Ignacy Krasicki, poet and Archbishop of Gniezno (d. 1801).

The 14th-century Kołudzki Chapel was renovated in 1647 with consistent interior furnishings. The four corners of the world are personified on the mid-18th-century polychrome vault. The early-baroque portal with its 17th-century renaissance grille from Gdańsk is one of Poland’s greatest blacksmithing achievements. The foundation plaque of the chapel has Szymon Kołudzki’s (d. 1656), portrait, epitaph and tombstone.

St. Nicholas Chapel, also known as Dzierzgowski Chapel, dates from the 14th century. The Gothic arcade has the remains of 14th-century Gothic sculptural ornamentation featuring hunting scenes engraved in artificial stone and a mid-16th century renaissance polychrome. The chapel is embellished with two precious renaissance tombstones: the first was sculpted from red marble by Bartolommeo Berecci and features the reclining figure of Abp. Andrzej Krzycki (d. 1573), humanist and politician; the second was for Abp. Mikołaj Dzierzgowski (d. 1559), a supporter of Bona, and was sculpted from sandstone and red marble by Hieronim Canavesi. There is also a round tondo with the Madonna of Giovanni Maria Padovano in the copestone.

The Łubieński Chapel was created 1642-1648 by joining two medieval chapels and restructured along early-classicist lines in 1778. The early-baroque portals from c. 1640 are made of marble and closed with renaissance grilles from Gdańsk. The early-baroque tomb of Abp. Maciej Łubieński (d. 1652) is made of marble and alabaster. The altar painting from 1646 has portraits of Łubieński family members.

Address:
ul. Łaskiego 7
62-200 Gniezno
Tel. +48 61 424 13 89


Pages: 1 2 3

Comments (0)

Add comment

For verification purposes (will not be published)