In 1917, a prisoner of war camp was built in the Szczypiorno district of Kalisz for Polish Legionnaires who refused to swear an oath of allegiance to the German Kaiser.
There is an enchanting corner amidst the bustling streets of central Poznań that creates an aura of calm and induces relaxation. It has survived in the form in which it was designed almost 100 years ago by German architect and town planner, Joseph Stübben.
The massive reinforced concrete structures of the MFR (Międzyrzecz region) constitute the largest system of fortifications in the country. There are some 50 armoured bunkers around Kaława, Kęszyca, Wysoka and Boryszyn, where the most heavily fortified section runs.
In the very centre of the city, a few steps away from the busy and bustling Old Market Square, a quiet place is located, relatively rarely visited by tourists.