Map

Galeria obiektu

Church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul (former Trinitarian church) in Krotoszyn

section: Architecture
comments: 0

KROTOSZYN

Krotoszyn is a county town situated ca. 80 km south-east of Poznań, at the crossroads of Jarocin–Wrocław and Ostrów-Wielkopolski–Rawicz routes.


Discalced Trinitarians were brought in to Krotoszyn in 1731 by Józef Potocki, the Voivod of Kiev, the then-owner of the town. 1733 saw erection of a cloister building; in 1766–1772, a brick temple was constructed on the site of a previously demolished wooden church. The edifice’s founder was Ludwika Potocka, nee Mniszech; the church building was probably designed by Karol-Marcin Frantz. The Prussian authorities abolished the cloister in 1819. Today, the building houses, inter alia, an art gallery and a Regional Museum, featuring an interesting exhibition illustrating the history of the town. The temple functions as a parish church.

The baroque single-nave church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul is an edifice of a diversified solid, with rounded quoins. It is covered by a multi-hipped roof, with an ave-bell on the ridge. Adjacent to the nave at the west is a tower topped with a cupola featuring a lantern. The interior’s uniform late-baroque outfit dates to 1772–1775. A boat-shaped pulpit is an attractive feature.

The former cloister’s standalone storied building is founded on a rectangular projection. Covered by a three-hipped roof, it has in its western elevation an arcade portal dated ca. 1733. The interiors are covered by a.o. cloister vaults with lunettes; a beam ceiling survives in the vestibule.


Address:
ul. Klasztorna 3
63-700 Krotoszyn
Tel. +48 62 725 27 66

Comments (0)

Add comment

For verification purposes (will not be published)