Saint John the Baptist's Church in Kiszkowo

section: Architecture
comments: 0

A village in the Gniezno district, located some 12 km to the north of Pobiedziska.

The church was erected in 1733. It was an addition to the brick Saint Mary's Chapel from the second part of the 17th century.
The church's tower is crowned with an 18th century cross, which combines the Holy Cross with the coat of arms of Pilawa, which was used by the Gniezno archbishop Teodor Potocki.
The church built using boarded log construction. Oriented. One-nave with a narrower three-sided chancel.

At the main altar there is a 18th century benevolent painting of Madonna with Child, with a silver cover surrounded by numerous votive offerings. It is often covered with a contemporary (1999) painting of Baptism of Jesus in Jordan. It is worth directing the attention towards the altar's antependium with its sculptured composition alluding to the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci. On the chancel wall hangs a Renaissance crucifix.

The side chapel was built as a thanksgiving offering for healing the Kiszkowo owner - Łukasz Niemojewski. At the same time it was a burial crypt for the owners of the town.
An 18th century Pietà from the dismantled 19th century Holy Trinity Church was placed at the altar. Above it there is a depiction of Transfiguration of Jesus, modelled on the work by Raphael.
 
The building is located on the Wooden Churches Trail around the Zielonka Forest.
 

Comments (0)

Add comment

For verification purposes (will not be published)