Mikstat is a town situated within the area of Ostrzeszowskie Hills, 13 km south-east of Ostrzeszów
The wooden St. Roch’s church was built on a hill behind the town in 1788. The edifice is orientated, one-nave, framework-structured, shingles-covered, boarded outside.
The church has survived till our time in its original form. The square-shaped tower is the only later-dated feature. It comprises three bells funded in the first half of 19th century by the local vicar, the Rev. Łukasz Marszałkowski, and cast at the workshop of Benjamin Krieger, a bell-founder of Wroclaw. The altars date back to the latter half of 18th century. The section topping the main altar contains a painting showing St. Roch (1707). Side chapels display paintings of St. Mary Magdalene, St. Nicholas and St. Isidorus, all funded by vicar Marszałkowski in 1810. The said image of St. Roch – the temple’s main patron – is particularly worshiped by the faithful.
The fair celebrations falling on 16th August are considered by locals to be the year’s central holiday. It actually kicks off a day earlier, on 15th August, the Our Lady’s Assumption day. A solemn procession is held on that day, making its way from the parish church to St. Roch’s church where the night-long adoration of the Holiest Sacrament begins after the vespers. On the following day, after the morning holy mass service, the ceremony’s more spectacular moments take place as the priest consecrates all the animals brought along by the participants. In the past, this was limited to farm animals whereas nowadays, domestic animals (dogs, cats, parrots, hamsters, etc.) also tend to appear there. The custom is rooted in the period when, in 18th century, local-area farm holdings were haunted by numerous plagues, including cattle plagues. It was then believed that St. Roch’s intercession could prevent an elemental disaster.
Tel. +48 62 731 00 06