Szamotuły is a district town, situated ca. 30 km north-west of Poznań.
The baroque church of the Holy Cross is a single-nave edifice, covered by a gable roof. The interior is covered with a barrel vault with lunettes. Behind the altar is a sacristry and above it, on the upper floor, a monastic loft. By the nave’s eastern part is an octagonal St. Anthony’s chapel, covered by a cupola with a lantern. The cupola’s canopy is decorated with paintings by Adam Swach from the early 18th century, showing scenes from the life of St. Anthony. The temple’s uniform rococo-style interior from 1759 is a work of the woodcarver Józef Eglauer.
Adjacent to the church at the west are the former cloister’s baroque developments, with a square garth surrounded by an ambulatory. A monument of Wacław of Szamotuły, the outstanding Polish renaissance composer – a work of the sculptor Bazyli Wojtowicz – was unveiled in 1947 in front of the cloister.