Krotoszyn is a county town situated in the south of Wielkopolska, on the edge of the Kalisz Upland, ca. 28 km west of Ostrów-Wielkopolski and over 100 km south of Poznań Agnieszka Duczmal, the conductor of renowi, was born there (in 1946).
Krotoszyn has been granted its municipal rights by King Władysław Jagiełło (1351–1434) in 1415. Situated by the crossing routes of Kalisz–Głogów and Toruń–Wrocław, it developed as a trade and crafts centre till 17th century. In July 1656, the Swedish army led by General Weyhard Wrzesowicz plundered the town and burnt it down. Toward the end of 17th century, the town has regained its rank and became famous in 18th century as it organised fairs at which 1,000 oxen were sold at a time.
Folowing 2nd Partition of Poland in 1793, Krotoszyn was made part of the Prussian state. It was to remain within the limits of the Duchy of Warsaw for a short time (1807–1815), only to be retrieved by the Prussian administration afterwards. In 19th and at the beginning of 20th century, the town underwent a strong industrialisation. Also the crafts, agriculture, cooperative movement and educational system developed. Krotoszyn was liberated on 1st January 1919 in the course of a military operation pursued by Wielkopolska insurgents.
The town was freed from the Nazi occupation on 23rd January 1945 by Soviet soldiers and fifty local volunteers. Today, it is an important industrial and trade hub and an educational and cultural centre.
In the market’s centre is a pseudo-renaissance town hall from the late years of 19th century, with a baroque tower topped with an openwork cupola. At 36 Koźmińska St. is an arcaded house built in 2nd half of 18th century, of a vertical-post log construction.
North-east of the centre is a wooden St.St. Fabian’s and Sebastian’s church.. The temple was built on a Greek-cross plan, with an octagonal higher-rising central section, in the latter half of 16th century.
West of the market square is a former post-Trinitarian complex with St.St. Peter’s and Paul’s church of 1766–1774 and a former cloister building of 1733, now housing a ‘Hieronim Ławniczak’ Regional Museum.
East of the market is a late-renaissance St. John the Baptist’s parish church from 1592–1597 – a richly furnished three-nave, basilica-type temple.
You are strongly recommended to visit the ‘Buczyna Helenopol’ Forest Reserve, located 6 km southwards from there.